How To Do Beach/Messy Hair Waves
Whenever I do my hair like this (which is alot this summer) I have had someone ask how to do it, or mention they like it. So I thought I would write a post about it. Let me point out I am not/have never been a hair stylist, so my technique is how I have taught myself to do it and are probably quite a primitive way, compared to how real hair stylist’s accomplish it.
Speaking about primitive, funnily it is part of my inspiration for this style of hair. I imagine the glamorous 70’s movie cavegirls with their kept, unkept hair and beautiful mermaids with luscious full wavy hair. I also have hair crushes on celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez, Kate Hudson and Beyonce.
BaByliss® Bamboo Ceramic All Purpose Brush
These tips are based on straight or wavy hair.
1. After I wash my hair I towel dry and leave to dry naturally. This is so I can get some of the natural wave I have in my hair, if you have quite straight hair you can put your hair into two loose low plaits. I find its best to do this the night before and to go to bed with nearly dry hair. Beach hair is about having different textures in your hair, I find my own natural wave gives a good basis to work with.
2. Once my hair is completely dry (teasing and tonging hair when damp can damage it) I then take my Remington curling wand and work my way through randomly grabbing small pieces of hair twist around the wand and hold for 5 seconds. I then randomly take larger pieces of hair and hold again for 5 seconds.
3. When I feel I have enough curls and waves I finger through my hair to separate slightly. I do not comb through as it make my hair bushy.
4. My hair is very thick and heavy, also I think this style looks better with a tiny bit of volume. So at the t-section of my hair, I take sections and slightly tease 5 inches away from the roots. So I don’t have to do too much teasing and while I am still holding up each section, I give a quick spray with Umberto Giannini Glam Hair Backcomb In A Bottle.
5. I then flick my head upside down and give a quick spray over with the Umberto Giannini Glam Hair Backcomb In A Bottle. Flick back and voilà.