*This post is in partnership with Selfridges
Last year I had a couple of weddings to attend. I hadn’t been to a wedding for yonks so the whole wedding guest dressing was a daunting prospect. I had no idea what the rules are apart from that you shouldn’t wear white and I was petrified of offending the bride or getting side eyes from the other guests.
I asked Twitter and lots of brides-to-be were happy to give advice and opinions from their point of view. If the wedding invite doesn’t have a clear dress code, it’s always best to play it safe and rely on the traditional etiquette.
- What I learnt is black is generally a no go (unless it’s a winter evening wedding).
- Red can be a bit risky as it draws attention and it will stick out like a sore thumb in photos.
- I spotted a cream jumpsuit that I liked, thinking it would be ok as it’s not a dress and not white. However, most brides -to-be stated it could still be frowned upon.
- Try not to wear a dress that looks like you are one of the bridesmaids
- lastly to dress moderately. This is not the time for your club ‘out out’ attire.
Minefield ey? No pressure then….
When Selfridges asked me to put together a smart, traditional summer wedding guest outfit together from their Wedding Shop, I felt quite prepared to take the challenge on. I had the Ted Baker range to choose from and I went for this Ted Baker floray jewel embellished cut out crepe dress, teamed with these Dune Alia snake-embossed leather heeled courts.
I never ever dress up, I basically live in jeans and trainers so when I walked into the living room my daughter Eva looked absolutely shocked. She even stated that I looked like a lady going to a wedding, hurrah!
This dress couldn’t be further away from what I would usually pick, but I felt like trying something new and I adore it. I’ve hoisted everything up with control knickers and a longline bra and even though the dress is tight and shows every curve, I feel like it is feminine in a classy way. I especially love the cut out detail in the back.
There is no need for further jewellery (in my opinion) as the floral jewelled embellishment on the neckline is more than enough. Also…the dress came with an extra bag of jewels, just in case any fall off.
All I need now is a wedding to go to!